TIN Matching FAQs
When am I eligible for a refund?
You are eligible for a refund if you cancel your order with customer support before it has been processed for printing or eFiling. If you cancel your order, you can choose to receive a refund or filing credit that can be used to file forms of an equal value in the future.
Refunds may take up to 2 weeks. Refund requests for orders in January and February may be delayed longer due to the increase in transactions during those months.
Note: Clicking Void Term on a form does not make you eligible for a refund. If you want to be issued a refund or filing credit you must contact customer service.
What is a state ID number?
A state ID number is issued by the state to your company generally for state tax withholding purposes. To obtain a state ID number, contact your state’s tax department.
If you aren’t required by the state to include a state ID number, you can ignore prompts to enter a state ID number.
What is the Combined Federal & State Filing Program (CFSF)?
As an eFileMyForms customer, you are automatically enrolled in the Combined Federal/State Filing Program (CFSF) when you file certain 1099 forms with us. Through CFSF, the IRS will electronically file original information returns to participating states for approved filers.
- CFSF only includes the IRS 1099 series forms. Form W2 is an SSA form and not part of the program, so any required state filing must be done directly with the state and is not part of the eFileMyForms service.
- The rules for submitting these forms vary by state, with some only requiring them under very specific circumstances. The 1099-K & 1099-OID are part of the CFSF program but are not currently supported by eFileMyForms.
- While the IRS has included the 1099-NEC to the CFSF program for tax year 2021, in order to ensure accurate and timely filing, eFileMyForms is only supporting direct filing to states that require it.
Forms in the CFSF Program
Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions
Dividends and Distributions
Certain Government Payments
Payment Card and Third-Party Network Transactions
Original Issue Discount
Taxable Distributions Received from Cooperatives
Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.
IRA Contribution Information
Participating CFSF States
Caution: As part of the eFileMyForms Print & Mail Service, a recipient does receive a 4-part form which has a copy that can be included with their state return. The filer needs to contact the state’s tax department or seek advice from a professional to find out if they need to file the W2 directly with the state. If they do need to file with the state, they can print out the PDFs online for submission to the state.
What is eDelivery/electronic Delivery? (1095-B & 1095-C)?
If you are required to submit a written statement to the recipient, you may submit the statement electronically instead of mailing it on paper. This includes submitting the statement to recipients of forms 1095-A, 1095-B, and 1095-C.
If you’re importing a 1095-B or 1095-C XLS file, you can include each recipient’s e-mail address and we’ll e-mail them in order to get their consent to eDelivery. If the recipient consents to eDelivery, the recipient can access their information immediately after you finish the checkout process of the 1095 form.
Recipients can revoke their consent for the next tax year by clicking the remove consent link in the e-mail that is provided to them when originally asking for consent. Recipients can revoke consent until the 1095-C is sent to them. After the form has been accessed from the website, there’s no option for physically mailing the form as IRS requirements are already met.
If the recipient doesn’t consent to receiving the statement electronically, a paper copy will automatically be sent to the mailing address on the recipient’s tax form.
Can I have multiple users on the same account?
Yes, you can. Additional users can log in using the same login credentials. This way multiple users can access the account at the same time.
A single account doesn’t support multiple login credentials. All users must use the same username and password to access the account.
Note: Don’t edit the same data at the same time as another user. One of your changes won’t be saved.
What forms of payment can I use?
eFileMyForms only accepts credit cards such as Visa, Discover, Mastercard, Amex, etc.
When do I get billed?
You are going to be billed when you check out. After you have reviewed and placed your order, you will be billed, and the forms will be sent to the IRS/SSA.
What is the TIN matching service?
With the TIN matching service, we verify that the Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN) used in your forms are correct before they are sent to the IRS.
A TIN mismatch occurs when the IRS can’t match the TIN and name to the IRS databases. A TIN can be either a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Employer Identification Number (EIN). If the IRS/SSA finds a mismatch in your form(s) each mismatch can result in penalties as high as $540 per record according to the Small Business Jobs and Credit Act of 2010.
Using our TIN matching service can help you avoid or minimize your exposure to these penalties.
Note: Our optional TIN matching service can be added to an order when you use either of our Print, Mail, eFile or eFile Only services.
What are the penalties for missing and incorrect TIN/Name?
- If you update and file your form(s) before the IRS filing deadline there is no penalty.
- If you update and file your forms within 30 days of the IRS deadline, you’ll get a $100 penalty per form ($50 for the recipient statement and $50 for filing late).
- If you update and file your forms by August 1, you’ll get a $200 penalty per form ($100 for the recipient statement and $100 for filing late).
- If you fix and update your forms after August 1, you’ll get a $540 penalty per form ($270 for the recipient statement and $270 for filing late).
- If you ignore the TIN/Name mismatch, you’ll get a $1060 penalty ($530 for the recipient statement and $530 for filing late).
When will I be notified of the results?
TIN matching can take up to 1 week from the time you place your order, and your credit card is successfully charged.
How will I be notified of the results?
After we perform the TIN matching on the forms in your order, we will send you an email with the subject line TIN Match Completed. Once you receive the email, log into your account and review your order to see if there are any forms that failed the TIN matching. If you don’t receive this email after a week, check your spam folder. If you don’t find an email there, you can log in and check your order to see your TIN matching status.
What do I do if a form fails the TIN matching?
- If your forms have already been transferred for print, mail, or electronic filing with the IRS/SSA, for each mismatch check your source documentation to see if the TIN matching failure was caused by a typo. If the W-9 form or other source documentation agrees with your tax forms, then consider requesting the TIN and name again by sending out a W-9 form. When you get the new W-9 form, update your records for the next year.
- Be sure to keep a folder with dated copies of W-9 forms sent out as well as any other updates or notes as the IRS will require these notes as proof that the error was a reasonable mistake and not intentional negligence. For more information, refer to the IRS Publication 1586 “Reasonable Cause Regulation & Requirements for Missing and Incorrect Name/TINs” (page 7 of this publication).
- If you receive a corrected TIN from the payee, include it on any future return filed for that payee. An employer should also file a zero correction even if the employer is only filing to correct an employee’s TIN.
What do I do if a form passes the TIN matching?
In this case you don’t need to do anything. The TIN and name you provided are correct.
What is the cost of the TIN matching service?
The TIN matching service costs $1 per form. So if you have 10 forms in an order, there will be an additional $10 fee added to the order total. This additional charge will show as a line item in your order.